[CentOS] sata AHCI controllers (real and virtual)

Mon Oct 4 11:47:03 UTC 2010
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>

> I saw something somewhere about AHCI support requiring kernel 2.6.19 or later.
> But the current CentOS/RHEL stable kernels are 2.6.18

Drivers, etc. are back ported.

> I'm trying to run CentOS/RHEL in a VirtualBox vm, which by default creates sata
> virtual disks with an AHCI virtual controller.
>
> These virtual machines are quite unstable, and I'm wondering if the AHCI virtual
> controller is the problem.
>
> I do have a real physical AHCI controller and I'm wondering if I
> should try it on
> a CentOS/RHEL 5.5 box, or if I should wait for RHEL/CentOS 6, before even
> attempting it.

I have a nVidia AHCI SATA controller on my system:

00:09.0 SATA controller: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] AHCI Controller (rev a2)

And it works fine with CentOS 5.  (It even works fine under CentOS
4.8!).  I did have to add the 'irqpoll' kernel parameter.

--
Robert Heller             -- Get the Deepwoods Software FireFox Toolbar!
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration