[CentOS] GDM could not write to you authorization file ... Please contact your system adminstrator

Wed Oct 6 22:46:44 UTC 2010
drew einhorn <drew.einhorn at gmail.com>

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 6:16 AM, Brent L. Bates <blbates at vigyan.com> wrote:
>     This error sounds familiar.  If it is the same problem I've had a couple
> of times, every time it happens, I forget what it was I did the last time to
> fix it.  :-(  After I remember, it seems almost obvious.

After some more googling I found the solution and it wasn't obvious:

    sudo chmod 1777 /tmp

In the case I really think the error message needs some improvement.

I can see where getting the permissions right on the mount points
can be tricky.

I hope the rest of my permissions are ok.

I used the following to do the heavy lifting

(cd src; tar cf - --xattrs .) | (cd dest; tar xf -)

Don't remember why I chose this over a cp -R based solution,
or a similar idiom using dump/restore instead of tar.

--
Drew Einhorn

"You can see a lot by just looking."
  --  Yogi Berra