[CentOS] OT: linux desktop market share more than 1%

Sat Oct 9 07:24:53 UTC 2010
Mathieu Baudier <mbaudier at argeo.org>

> ObOnTopic: does anybody know if CentOS supports the MacBookPro7,1 model
> with the funky SATA controller?  It's nontrivial to find any hard
> information about even kernel support, much less whether a given distro
> has included any of the relevant patches in its kernel.  I don't mind
> OS X, but for some purposes I really prefer a linux-based desktop.

If you already have the computer, I would recommend you to give a try
to RHEL 6 Beta 2 and report to Red Hat any problem you have while they
are still polishing their release.
I was surprised, but they have been pretty helpful and motivated with
issues that I reported which are specific to Apple hardware.

As per my other mail, I would not recommend CentOS 5 on a Mac laptop
anyhow (because of the touchpad), although this is still what I mostly
do when traveling.

Otherwise, Ubuntu is probably your safest bet (but it is a pretty fast
moving target).

In any case, I recommend you to partition your disk as soon as you get
the computer and leave says 10 / 20 GB for a Linux. Even if it does
not work today, it may (will) work in a few months, and it is more
dangerous to repartition while you already have important data on your
Mac OS. As long as you have the disk space reserved for it, it will be
safe to try various Linux distributions over and over.