[CentOS] updating centOS5.3

Tue Oct 12 11:05:07 UTC 2010

On 10/12/2010 11:29 AM, Ritika Garg wrote:
> I have centOS5.3 installed in the system. I have never updated it but
> now am planning to update. While doing "yum update", is there any
> possibility that the update might hamper the execution of any
> software/application installed on the system? Is there anything
> particular to note before updating the system?

If you are not updating your machine on a regular basis, there will
always be a long list of updates when you come around to running them.
So make sure you check what repositories you have enabled, what packages
are coming from where and what your upgrade process is going to be.
Usually, doing a 'yum list updates' will tell you whats going to update
- so study that list, and see if anything in there has an impact on your
apps and how.

basically : make sure you know whats going to change, and where that
change is going to come from.

if everything on your machine did not come from rpms / yum-repos : you
might need to workout a plan to upgrade those components as well ( and
maybe switch to using rpms for those )

- KB