[CentOS] using a Laptop as a KVM console?

Thu Oct 14 08:04:25 UTC 2010
Bart Schaefer <barton.schaefer at gmail.com>

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 11:39 AM, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi at softdux.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 8:20 PM, Dale Dellutri <daledellutri at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Your request inspired me to try a google search:
>>
>>   linux laptop as kvm console
>>
>> http://us.startech.com/product/NOTECONS01-Portable-USB-PS-2-KVM-Console-Adapter-for-Notebook-PCs
>
> Thanx Dale, that's what I was looking for :) Now I just need to find a
> local supplier, seeing how expensive this is. I guess my google search
> terms were just a bit off.....

Try searching for "kvm over ip" -- you'll find a number of devices not
much more expensive than that adapter, which are KVMs with their own
network interfaces.  Which means you don't even need to be physically
plugged in to use them, though I believe you *could* be if security
concerns mean you don't want to connect the KVM to a public network.