[CentOS] Howto align partitions in Linux + NetApp

Fri Oct 22 12:54:38 UTC 2010
Brian Mathis <brian.mathis at gmail.com>

AFAIK, you cannot do what you are trying to do.  The point of file
system alignment is to lay down the tracks on the entire disk so they
align with the sector boundaries of the underlying device.  Once
everything is laid down and you have installed OS and written data,
all of those blocks are already misaligned.  You cannot move them
unless you do a complete system backup, reformat, then restore the
backup.

You might be able to fudge it by shrinking the partition down, then
moving it to the end of the disk, then moving it again, this time to
an aligned section of the disk.  I can't imagine how long that would
take, and is probably risky on a production system.  To try this you
would probably need at least half of the disk unused.

Unless you expect to see serious performance increases from this, it's
not worth it.  Chalk it up to learning and use that knowledge on your
on a development system first.