[CentOS] how long to reboot server ?

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at tsb.cranrdte.navy.mil
Thu Sep 2 17:26:14 EDT 2010

Rudi Ahlers wrote, On 09/02/2010 04:49 PM:
> I've had cased where a kernel didn't
> work as expected though, but we don't reboot a server every 2 months to
> see if the kernel might have failed.

surprised I have not seen anyone mention the other two things which can conspire to cause reboot
trouble (with the kernel) with long uptimes
1) automatic updates by yum-updatesd
2) small (only 3) installonly_limit

If you are not careful, the last known working kernel is gone when you go to reboot. :(

I usually am mindful of both of these settings.

Todd Denniston