[CentOS] how long to reboot server ?

Ross Walker rswwalker at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 22:51:35 UTC 2010

On Sep 2, 2010, at 5:26 PM, Todd Denniston <Todd.Denniston at tsb.cranrdte.navy.mil> wrote:

> Rudi Ahlers wrote, On 09/02/2010 04:49 PM:
>>
> <SNIP>
>> I've had cased where a kernel didn't
>> work as expected though, but we don't reboot a server every 2 months to
>> see if the kernel might have failed.
>>

> surprised I have not seen anyone mention the other two things which can conspire to cause reboot
> trouble (with the kernel) with long uptimes
> 1) automatic updates by yum-updatesd
> 2) small (only 3) installonly_limit
>
> If you are not careful, the last known working kernel is gone when you go to reboot. :(
>
> I usually am mindful of both of these settings.

I would seriously advise against using yum-updatesd on a server deployment. It will screw up at some point and that point will most likely be when you can't afford to have it screw up.

Having said that, yum-updatesd on a desktop is fine, and probably a good canary for the server updates (but I wouldn't have it go on a large desktop deployment).

-Ross