[CentOS] Interpreting logwatch

John Doe jdmls at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 8 13:44:11 UTC 2010

From: Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net>

> Every few days I see in the logwatch on my Centos-5.5 web-server
> what seems  like a rather feeble break-in attempt.
> Eg today I  see

I get proxy scans and phpmyadmin (and others) vulnerabilities scans everyday...
They just get 404s in return...
You can check the IPs in apache error_log
In the beginning I was reporting them to their ISPs but, with the high numbers
of daily scans, I just gave up...
Either they are part of a botnet (so clueless users infected pcs), or they are
abroad (Asia) and the ISP will just mostly ignore your email...
Maybe just make sure your set apache ServerSignature to Off...
One annoying "bug" about logwatch is that it does not cope with the lack of year
in yum.log dates, so it will happily report packages installs from last years as
if it just happened...

JD