[CentOS] Interpreting logwatch

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Thu Sep 9 00:29:00 UTC 2010

John Doe wrote:

>> Every few days I see in the logwatch on my Centos-5.5 web-server
>> what seems  like a rather feeble break-in attempt.

> Maybe just make sure your set apache ServerSignature to Off...

Thanks for the suggestion.

I looked at my /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
and I saw that ServerSignature was indeed set to On.
This must have been the default,
as I certainly would not have changed it,
since I found the explanation of its purpose completely incomprehensible:
# Optionally add a line containing the server version and virtual host
# name to server-generated pages

I have changed it to Off, and restarted the httpd service.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net