[CentOS] Traffic shaping on CentOS

Flaherty, Patrick pflaherty at wsi.com
Fri Sep 10 21:42:11 UTC 2010

You may still be hosed since the bottleneck is in front of your server.

 New client requests -> InternetConnection -> Router/FW -> Server

 If your new client requests are coming into an internet connection
that's saturated, I'm pretty sure they won't even make it to the server
to get rate limited. Your client would start seeing error
rates/retransmits and you'd be effectively DOS'd. If you were running
with an ISP that let you burst, then used a Router/FW that let you start
throttling traffic you may do better, but I don't think you're going to
get good results out of that system.

 Any reason you don't buy a hosted solution and put your static content
(manuals, long downloads, etc) up there for people to pull? You could
also get pay as you go caching thru a few limelight/level3/akami/etc for
your domain.

In the past I've used tc to do testing for crappy network links. Here
are the two links that I found helpful
* http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/networking/netem
* http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.ratelimit.single.html

Good luck,