[CentOS] Centos Virtual Machine 32 bit with 8 GB ram ?

Laurent Wandrebeck l.wandrebeck at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 06:50:18 UTC 2010

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 09:44:28 +0300
Roland RoLaNd <r_o_l_a_n_d at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a centos 5.2 core 2 duo 3.0 GHZ with 2 GB ram which is working as a Virtual machine.
> i've just upgraded the hosting physical server from 32 GB to 64 GB of ram. which in turn, would require me to upgrade the VM to 8 GB.
> this is a 32 bit centos installation, would the system recognize and use the 8 GB?
Yes, using a PAE enabled kernel. Anyway, apps won't be able to use more
than 3GB per process. Welcome in 32 bits limitations.
> the option of using a 64 bit centos isnt possible.
Strange. 64 bits is here for years, 64 runs 32 bits code perfectly.

> So i'm turning to you for advice.
> would upgrading the Ram be enough, or is there anything to be done that's kernel based of some sort?
Either PAE or switch to 64 bits. There's no other path.
HTH,
--
Laurent Wandrebeck
GPG fingerprint/Empreinte GPG: F5CA 37A4 6D03 A90C 7A1D  2A62 54E6 EF2C