[CentOS] Problem with SSHD update.

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Tue Sep 14 16:31:56 UTC 2010

On Mon, September 13, 2010 19:23, Gilbert Sebenste wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Sep 2010, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>
>>> This matter is somewhat urgent.
>>
>> Totally! broken sshd could cause non-trivial issues for a lot of
>> people.
>>
>> However, I can confirm that:
>>
>> * prov-kickstart-c5.5-i386 : sshd tests PASS
>> * yum -y update : sshd tests PASS [1]
>> * yum install latest updates : sshd tests PASS
>>
>> So, I'm quite keen on finding out what is it that is causing the
>> breakage for you.
>> - KB
>
> I am NOT rubbing this in, but I figured I'd let you know that I have
> 5 i386 machines, one x86_64...did a yum -y update...and all updated
> ssh and all related RPM's. And it's aall is working well here. I
> only slightly  modified sshd_config in previous versions, and it
> didn't cause any problems with this update.

In my original post I pointed out that this problem occurred on just
one server and that all the updates applied cleanly on the rest.  I
do not have an explanation for why this particular server choked on
the sshd update, but it did.

Interestingly, although the package on that server is now an older one

Name        : openssh                      Relocations: (not
relocatable)
Version     : 4.3p2                             Vendor: CentOS
Release     : 41.el5                        Build Date: Wed 31 Mar
2010 05:24:16 AM EDT
Install Date: Mon 13 Sep 2010 02:28:35 PM EDT      Build Host:
builder10.centos.org
Group       : Applications/Internet         Source RPM:
openssh-4.3p2-41.el5.src.rpm
Size        : 744306

Vice

Name        : openssh                      Relocations: (not
relocatable)
Version     : 4.3p2                             Vendor: CentOS
Release     : 41.el5_5.1                    Build Date: Sun 12 Sep
2010 12:00:45 PM EDT
Install Date: Mon 13 Sep 2010 08:50:29 AM EDT      Build Host:
builder17.centos.org
Group       : Applications/Internet         Source RPM:
openssh-4.3p2-41.el5_5.1.src.rpm
Size        : 744754

yum check-update does not report that there is a more recent openssh
available.   Odd.

Canada  L8E 3C3