[CentOS] Can anyone suggest a decent backup system?

John Doe jdmls at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 16 09:19:09 UTC 2010

From: Kevin Thorpe <kevin at pibenchmark.com>

> We have a bit of a problem with backups. We've been using  bacula to tape
> and now trying to disk but it's a complete nightmare as  regards tape
> management. The backup to file storage went ok for ages and now  is stuck
> 'waiting for max storage jobs' which is odd as that's set to 20 and  it's
> the only backup running. That's totally typical of bacula.
> Can  anyone suggest a simple backup package for us? Essentially a single
> server,  full backup to tape every day. We don't need tape management as
> we're fully  capable of reading the written label on the tape  ourselves.

Did you ask on the bacula mailing list what could be the problem...?
You could try amanda, but it is quite as "heavy" as bacula.
If you really want something simple, as in "write these folders to tape", maybe
just make a small shell script that uses tar/afio + mt...
I prefer afio because it is resilient to errors.

JD