[CentOS] Can anyone suggest a decent backup system?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 12:48:49 UTC 2010

On 9/16/10 6:20 AM, Sorin Srbu wrote:
> [...]

I ran amanda and backuppc independently for a long time. Both are pretty much
'full automatic' once you set them up.  If your backup window is long enough
having both means you still have backups if one or the other has some kind of
problem or is being upgraded.  But, after years of never restoring from tapes I
gave up on them and now have the backuppc archive on a 3-member raid1 mirror and
swap one of the drives offsite regularly.

Tapes are kind of an afterthought with backuppc, but if you want to use it by
itself you can use its concept of 'archive host' to write a tar copy of the last
backup to tape (or compress/split for dvds, etc.).  This can be done through the
web interface or you could use the command line tool that generates a tar image
to script whatever you wanted to write to tape.  With the command line tool you
can specify the backup you want so you'd be able to generate a 'month-end' tar
any time before the run for that day expired.

Also, backuppc can use rsync over ssh for the transport, so once you get the
initial copy you might be able to move the server to a remote location.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com