[CentOS] is Intel VT-d "really" necessary?

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Thu Sep 16 17:23:15 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 7:09 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
>  On 09/16/10 8:56 AM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>>
>> >  Dell's PowerEdge R210 and R310 are available with Core i3.
>>
>> But those aren't servers since the Core iX CPU's are desktop class CPU's
>> ;)
>

> those are low end servers in Dell's line.
>
> I'd be looking at the R410 or R710 for virtualization hosts, along with
> external storage.   you can put far more memory in these.  the 2U version
> lets you add more network and HBA (storage) interfaces than the 1U has room
> for.

John, my statement was a bit sarcastic :)

But, the truth is these servers exist, with Core i3, i5 & i7 CPU's
from various vendors. I can get a nice big setup on the SuperMicro
side with 32GB RAM, Core i7, 4x RAID 10 HDD's, etc.

But I'm convinced now that XEON's would be better even though they're
far more expensive. And at the same time our older Pentium IV,
Core2Duo & Core2Quad machines work as well as our XEON machines, but
at much cheaper prices - which translates to more money being
available to other hardware / services / marketing / etc.

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com