[CentOS] is Intel VT-d "really" necessary?

Alan Hodgson ahodgson at simkin.ca
Thu Sep 16 17:37:00 UTC 2010

On September 16, 2010 10:23:15 am Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> But I'm convinced now that XEON's would be better even though they're
> far more expensive. And at the same time our older Pentium IV,
> Core2Duo & Core2Quad machines work as well as our XEON machines, but
> at much cheaper prices - which translates to more money being
> available to other hardware / services / marketing / etc.

They're not that much more expensive, at least for the dual-socket boards. And
you get a lot better I/O and memory bandwidth from real server boards.

The 6 core Xeons are still kinda pricey though.

Supermicro also makes fine server boards and a great range of rack-mount
chassis, including blades, for much cheaper than, say, HP.