[CentOS] looking for cool, post-install things to do on a centos 5.5 system

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Fri Sep 17 08:45:26 UTC 2010

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> To: CentOS discussion list <centos at centos.org>
> From: Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>
> Subject: [CentOS] looking for cool,
>     post-install things to do on a centos 5.5 system
>

>  (note:  i asked this a few days ago but it *appears* that that post
> was tossed due to getting excessive bounces from my account.  so i'm
> posting it again, apologies if you're seeing it a second time.)
>
>  over the next several weeks, i'm teaching some courses in RHEL admin
> but (unsurprisingly) i'll be using centos 5.5.  it's a
> decently-written, 3rd party course, all the generic, standard admin
> topics but it does leave me about a 1/2 day to throw in any cool stuff
> i want to add.
>
>  so, any recommendations for neat things that people here have done
> in the way of what can be added to or configured on a centos server
> system?  the course covers all the standard topics -- installation,
> package management, service management, filesystem maintenance, that
> sort of thing.  so i'm looking for bonus, neat stuff that others here
> do as a matter of course when putting together a centos system.
>
>  logging utilities?  intrusion detection?  monitoring?  anything that
> leaps to mind that i can use to fill up a few more hours.  i'm already
> thinking of showing how to build and boot a new kernel.  other ideas?
> thanks.

Hi Robert. That sounds interesting. You might like to
checkout my Auto Linux Installer bash scripts. I wrote these
to automate the installation of Fedora and now have a set
configured to install CentOS 5.5

You may be able to enhance your course and add some more
time to it by using some things from my ALI scripts?

They are designed to install a fresh Fedora/CentOS/RHEL
system, deal with automating service management, and
configure the freshly installed system to use your saved
configuration files - if there are any.

http://www.karsites.net/centos/anyuser/auto-linux-installer.php

I'm also 3/4 the way writing a tutorial on how to download
and install the latest version of Eclipse 3.6.0 Helios for
PHP programmers, on CentOS 5.5

I have it all working fine, but the howto is not completed
yet.

HTH

Keith

Websites: