[CentOS] looking for cool, post-install things to do on a centos 5.5 system

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Sep 17 12:51:44 UTC 2010

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010, Les Mikesell wrote:

> I'd consider the most valuable things to know about would be the
> nature of an assortment of 3rd party yum repositories (i.e. EPEL
> makes an effort not to overwrite core packages but probably won't
> have everything you want), how to find and install their *-release
> packages, how to use yum to search and install things from them, and
> that most of them should left disabled in the yum configuration so
> they don't affect things unless you explicitly enable them on the
> command line for a search or specific package you want.

  i've already added a section on EPEL, just so i can install things
like git.  and i know there's an entire page at centos.org on extra
repos.  any there that you *particularly* recommend?  i'll revisit
that page later today but i'm thinking that, for the sake of this
first-level admin course, EPEL might be sufficient for now.

> Oh - and how to install and use freenx/NX for remote access.

  hmmmm ... good idea.  or i might just add in VNC and carry over the
freenx to an additional course dealing with networking/remote
admin/etc.  thanks.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca