[CentOS] looking for cool, post-install things to do on a centos 5.5 system

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 13:18:38 UTC 2010

> On Fri, 17 Sep 2010, Les Mikesell wrote:
>
>> I'd consider the most valuable things to know about would be the
>> nature of an assortment of 3rd party yum repositories (i.e. EPEL
>> makes an effort not to overwrite core packages but probably won't
>> have everything you want), how to find and install their *-release
>> packages, how to use yum to search and install things from them, and
>> that most of them should left disabled in the yum configuration so
>> they don't affect things unless you explicitly enable them on the
>> command line for a search or specific package you want.
>
>    i've already added a section on EPEL, just so i can install things
> like git.  and i know there's an entire page at centos.org on extra
> repos.  any there that you *particularly* recommend?  i'll revisit
> that page later today but i'm thinking that, for the sake of this
> first-level admin course, EPEL might be sufficient for now.

No, the important thing to know is that the repositories that have the current
packages you want to install will also cause dependency issues if you enable
them for general updates.  I use rpmforge for subversion and some other things,
but I haven't really kept up with what is out there.

>> Oh - and how to install and use freenx/NX for remote access.
>
>    hmmmm ... good idea.  or i might just add in VNC and carry over the
> freenx to an additional course dealing with networking/remote
> admin/etc.  thanks.

I'd guess that for most people starting with linux, freenx with NX running on
their existing windows/mac would be a much better fit.  Maybe vmwware player or
virtualbox too.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com