[CentOS] looking for cool, post-install things to do on a centos 5.5 system

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 14:52:06 UTC 2010

On 9/17/2010 8:18 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:

>>     hmmmm ... good idea.  or i might just add in VNC and carry over the
>> freenx to an additional course dealing with networking/remote
>> admin/etc.  thanks.
>
> I'd guess that for most people starting with linux, freenx with NX running on
> their existing windows/mac would be a much better fit.  Maybe vmwware player or
> virtualbox too.

Oh, another thing - I've always thought that every course on unix-like
systems should touch on what the fork() and open() system calls do, sort
of like learning to count to 10 before memorizing math formulas. If you
understand that every process except init is fork()ed from a running
parent, that environment variables and open files are inherited (because
the child/parent share the COW memory), and the security checks that
happen in open(), you can pretty much deduce the rest of the system
behavior (well, except for selinux...).

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com