[CentOS] looking for cool, post-install things to do on a centos 5.5 system

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Fri Sep 17 20:36:19 UTC 2010

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010, Les Mikesell wrote:

> Agreed that it's good to know how - but 'there isn't any rpm' should
> really mean there isn't any rpm at any well-maintained location, not
> just in the base system or that you didn't bother to look.  Every time
> you build something yourself you are taking on the job of maintaining it
> forever and probably leaving people in a lurch when you leave and
> someone else has to figure out what non-standard things you did.

I think you overstate the matter with a strawman that lacks
mutuality of obligation ...

If a person (person X) is employed at site Y, and the folks
responsible for that site Y are willing to pay person X
forever to maintain content forever, perhaps there is a 'leave
in the lurch' situation

If site Y was willing to pay for documentation to be produced
as to how the site was installed, and how it might thereafter
be maintained going forward, it is no longer: 'non-standard'

But, if site Y was not willing to open their purse, it sure
seems to me that one cannot fairly somehow hold person X
accountable with the 'guilting' as to: 'leave in the lurch'
for entropy and the absence of knowledge of site Y on how to
address it without person X

Site Y gets the union of: what a commons community will freely
offer, whatever deliverables one has paid for, and what one is
then willing a subsequent maintainer to pay for when/if
entropy happens

but this thread has wandered far, far afield

-- Russ herrold