[CentOS] looking for cool, post-install things to do on a centos 5.5 system

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 21:18:11 UTC 2010

On 9/17/2010 3:36 PM, R P Herrold wrote:

>> Agreed that it's good to know how - but 'there isn't any rpm' should
>> really mean there isn't any rpm at any well-maintained location, not
>> just in the base system or that you didn't bother to look.  Every time
>> you build something yourself you are taking on the job of maintaining it
>> forever and probably leaving people in a lurch when you leave and
>> someone else has to figure out what non-standard things you did.
>
> I think you overstate the matter with a strawman that lacks
> mutuality of obligation ...
>
> If a person (person X) is employed at site Y, and the folks
> responsible for that site Y are willing to pay person X
> forever to maintain content forever, perhaps there is a 'leave
> in the lurch' situation

I'm commenting in the context of a new sysadmin and what they should be
taught.  My point is that just because there is a huge amount of free
code available for downloading and the time it takes to run 'configure,
make, make install' is trivial, it is not necessarily a good idea to do
that every time anyone asks.

Maybe we should compare it to what happens when someone asks to have
something new added to CentOS, and note that all of the same reasons for
not doing that may (or admittedly may not) apply to doing it within a
company.  It's just something a beginner should think about.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com