[CentOS] In the press, once again

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 15:57:19 UTC 2010

On 9/24/2010 10:37 AM, Hakan Koseoglu wrote:
> On 24 September 2010 14:23, Timo Schoeler<timo.schoeler at riscworks.net>  wrote:
>> Windows admins use a virtualized CentOS machine to copy files because
>> their own tools are not able to handle copying a bigger amount of data. :)
> Although I read the article with some amusement, I have to wonder
> what's wrong with rsync (has a Windows port, albeit somewhat slow with
> Cygwin implementation). His fallback is using cp which I found utterly
> incomprehensible.

The current (1.7.x) cygwin ssh/rsync are OK, but there is a long history
of earlier versions randomly hanging when rsync was running under sshd
(i.e. started remotely).  It always worked with rsync configured as a
standalone daemon or when executed from the windows side using ssh to a
unix/linux target.

This used to be a problem when using backuppc to back up windows files
with rsync.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com