[CentOS] In the press, once again

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 17:08:54 UTC 2010

On 9/24/2010 11:54 AM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

>>> Although I read the article with some amusement, I have to wonder
>>> what's wrong with rsync (has a Windows port, albeit somewhat slow with
>>> Cygwin implementation). His fallback is using cp which I found utterly
>>> incomprehensible
>> Until Cygwin's developers decide the join the rest of the window's
>> universe in having an *uninstaller* it will remain "not installed -
>> ever" on many people's systems, including mine.
>
> +1.  There are numerous things with Cygwin that are very messy.  It
> avoid it at nearly all costs.

There are some separately packaged components like deltacopy and cwrsync
that just install ssh and rsync that might make it easier to deal with.
  All you really need is the one dll and an executable, but it is pretty
hard to get that from the cygwin installer.

> IMO, a windows system with Cygwin and Cygwin tools isn't really a
> Windows system anymore;  it is an crippled and ugly hybrid.

I'd call it 'enhanced' rather than crippled, since the point of using
the tools is normally to make windows act like a more sensible unix box,
but it is still sort of an ugly hybrid.

But in any case it is really hard to beat rsync and ssh for moving files
around.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com