[CentOS] In the press, once again

Hakan Koseoglu hakan at koseoglu.org
Fri Sep 24 18:12:42 UTC 2010

On 24 September 2010 18:04, Brunner, Brian T. <BBrunner at gai-tronics.com> wrote:
> No Windows functionalities are lost by installing Cygwin.
> Cygwin has the SAME uninstall that Windows does: install CentOS.
cwrsync comes with an uninstallable package and works OK, makes
copying loads of files across Windows boxen bearable. The commercial
alternatives to Cygwin are not very good either. When I raised a
ticket with one of them because a simple call to a binary inside a
shell was so incredibly slow they told me that they were twice as fast
as their main competitor, Cygwin. When I mentioned to them the same
script runs literally hundred times faster on CentOS and that's the
real competition, they shut up.

I have to admit I always thought the reason I preferred resorting to
cwcygwin when such problems knocked on my own door was my own lack of
knowledge on some uberuseful tool in Windows but it appears that's not
the case, as an out of the box scriptable platform, it is still as
pathetic as it was 10-15 years ago (even probably worse since in
Win3.1 I could record macros for the GUI).