[CentOS] Configuring BIND to answer to two domain names (four IP addresses)

James A. Peltier jpeltier at sfu.ca
Fri Sep 24 13:14:13 EDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
| On a CentOS 5 server, I am having a hard time configuring BIND to
| answer to 4 IP addresses for 2 domain names.
| Currently, I have four IP addresses, for sake of discussion they are:
| Additionally, I have two domain names. For sake of discussion:
| exampleA.com
| exampleB.com
| My goal is to have & as the nameservers for
| exampleA.com, and & as the nameservers for
| exampleB.com. Apache is running on this machine, and should of course
| serve pages for the sites.
| I think that I've got the apache configuration down, but the BIND
| configuration is eluding me. I've read the following fine manual, but
| I am still stuck:
| http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Deployment_Guide-en-US/ch-bind.html
| Additionally, I have googled for "how to configure bind for multiple
| domain names" and the like, but I see no mention of the IP addresses
| configuration. Can I simply configure any IP address that the server
| answers to as the nameservers? What am I missing?
| Thank you in advance!
| --
| Dotan Cohen
| http://gibberish.co.il
| http://what-is-what.com

Have a read for the listen on directive for BIND which tells BIND what interfaces/IP Addresses to bind to.  Alternatively, you could just configure BIND identically on both machines and ensure that they are setup in a master/slave configuration so that each name server could answer requests for both domains and publish both name server records in each domain.

James A. Peltier
Systems Analyst (FASNet), VIVARIUM Technical Director
Phone   : 778-782-6573
Fax     : 778-782-3045
E-Mail  : jpeltier at sfu.ca
Website : http://www.fas.sfu.ca | http://vivarium.cs.sfu.ca