[CentOS] CentOS, Firefox, and Java Plugin

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Fri Sep 24 19:12:00 UTC 2010

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010, Mathieu Baudier wrote:

> From: Mathieu Baudier <mbaudier at argeo.org>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] CentOS, Firefox, and Java Plugin
>
>> Apparently I don't have the java plugin browser installed.  I've tried
>> to install it using the rpm.bin file at
>> <http://java.com/en/download/linux_manual.jsp?locale=en&host=java.com>,
>> but it's erroring out: "/bin/sh: bad interpreter: Text file busy".
>
> If you want to keep it simple, I would not try to install at the same
> time the base CentOS OpenJdk RPMs and the Sun RPM.
> If you don't care much about control (in the free software sense) on
> your Java installation and just need the plugin, I guess you should go
> for the Sun RPM after uninstalling the base OpenJdk packages.
>
> Maybe some people on the list have other opinions / tips.

Here's a link on the Centos forum regarding Java:

https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=27062&forum=38&post_id=111413#forumpost111413

FWIW - Eclipse IDE 3.6.0 Helios from upstream will NOT work
with the default Centos Java package. So you will need to
install Sun's Java to get Eclipse working on Centos.

HTH

Keith Roberts

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net