[CentOS] CentOS, Firefox, and Java Plugin

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 08:52:31 EDT 2010

On 9/27/10 7:31 AM, Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Sep 2010, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> On 9/24/2010 2:23 PM, Keith Roberts wrote:
>>> Well yes, it does work OK. The point being though it's an
>>> old (stable) release of Eclipse, but nothing near the current
>>> Eclipse 3.6.0 Helios release.
>>> I'm in the middle of moving now, but when the dust settles I
>>> will put my 'Installing Eclipse Helios 3.6.0 for PHP
>>> developers' on Centos 5.5 on my site. It covers Java,
>>> Xdebug, PDT, necessary repos, and starting to use the PDT
>>> plugin for debugging local and remote PHP scripts. I might
>>> even throw in a few screencasts. But that's another story
>>> getting OT now.
>> My take on things is that java and a lot of other things are really
>> intended to work with several versions concurrently available - and
>> perhaps running concurrently, where RPM wants to only have one and even
>> with alternatives can only make one the default.  So any time you don't
>> want the defaults, you have some design decisions to make.  Still, I'm
>> surprised that Sun and RH didn't make nice and have a publicly available
>> RPM that puts things in RH-style places.
> As you probably know, Red Hat does have various java flavours and versions
> that can coexist using RPM available from their RHN Extras/Supplementary
> channel. I guess licensing is one reason why it is not public, although it
> does give Red Hat some added value for Enterprises, I am sure :-)

Yes, but it was odd that Debian/Ubuntu offered packaged Sun Java for everyone
where RH only had it in the subscription updates.  And even stranger that Sun's
own RPM didn't follow RH standards.  I suppose they'd rather have you run
solaris, but making something difficult isn't the way to get people to like your

   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com