[CentOS] CentOS, Firefox, and Java Plugin

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 19:37:26 UTC 2010

On 9/24/2010 2:23 PM, Keith Roberts wrote:

> Well yes, it does work OK. The point being though it's an
> old (stable) release of Eclipse, but nothing near the current
> Eclipse 3.6.0 Helios release.
>
> I'm in the middle of moving now, but when the dust settles I
> will put my 'Installing Eclipse Helios 3.6.0 for PHP
> developers' on Centos 5.5 on my site. It covers Java,
> Xdebug, PDT, necessary repos, and starting to use the PDT
> plugin for debugging local and remote PHP scripts. I might
> even throw in a few screencasts. But that's another story
> getting OT now.

My take on things is that java and a lot of other things are really
intended to work with several versions concurrently available - and
perhaps running concurrently, where RPM wants to only have one and even
with alternatives can only make one the default.  So any time you don't
want the defaults, you have some design decisions to make.  Still, I'm
surprised that Sun and RH didn't make nice and have a publicly available
RPM that puts things in RH-style places.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com