[CentOS] CentOS, Firefox, and Java Plugin

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Fri Sep 24 20:01:58 UTC 2010

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010, Les Mikesell wrote:

> To: centos at centos.org
> From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] CentOS, Firefox, and Java Plugin
>
> On 9/24/2010 2:23 PM, Keith Roberts wrote:
>>
>> Well yes, it does work OK. The point being though it's an
>> old (stable) release of Eclipse, but nothing near the current
>> Eclipse 3.6.0 Helios release.
>>
>> I'm in the middle of moving now, but when the dust settles I
>> will put my 'Installing Eclipse Helios 3.6.0 for PHP
>> developers' on Centos 5.5 on my site. It covers Java,
>> Xdebug, PDT, necessary repos, and starting to use the PDT
>> plugin for debugging local and remote PHP scripts. I might
>> even throw in a few screencasts. But that's another story
>> getting OT now.
>
> My take on things is that java and a lot of other things are really
> intended to work with several versions concurrently available - and
> perhaps running concurrently, where RPM wants to only have one and even
> with alternatives can only make one the default.  So any time you don't
> want the defaults, you have some design decisions to make.  Still, I'm
> surprised that Sun and RH didn't make nice and have a publicly available
> RPM that puts things in RH-style places.

Granted. My workaround is to just point apps to the
particular version of the JVM I want to use to run it,
without trying to uninstall the default Java package. For
example, running Eclipse with Sun's (Oracle's) Java:

To run Eclipse with an alternate Java runtime environment,
the path to the Java virtual machine's binary must be
identified.

Once the path to the virtual machine's binary has been
identified, try running Eclipse with the following command:

  ./eclipse -vm /path/to/jre/bin/java

For an actual example, it might look something like the
following:

./eclipse -vm /usr/lib/jvm/sun-java-6/bin/java
./eclipse -vm /opt/sun-jdk-1.6.0.02/bin/java

Regards,

Keith

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net