[CentOS] Configuring BIND to answer to two domain names (four IP addresses)

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Fri Sep 24 20:24:45 UTC 2010

> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 19:38, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> > You are making it much more complicated than necessary.
>
> That is what I suspected! I know that when Linux gets difficult, it is
> because I'm doing it wrong!
>

> > I'd configure
> > apache to use named virtual hosts and listen on all addresses (but you
> > might want to tie https to specific addresses so you can tie connections
> > to the right certificates),
>
> Exactly how it is configured.
>

> > and bind to listen on all addresses and
> > answer for all your domains.
> >

> So, then, the association of a FQDN with any particular IP address is
> only done in the domain name's control panel where the nameservers are
> set?

It is in bind's database (zone files).  In named.conf you associate
domains (all but the leftmost part of the FQDN) with zone files and
zone files map from hostnames (left-most part of the FQDN) to ip
addresses.

Fragment of named.conf:

zone "deepsoft.com" {
        type master;
        file "deepsoft.com.zone";
        // IP addresses of slave servers allowed to transfer
deepsoft.com
        allow-transfer { any; };
};

zone "wendellfullmoon.org" {
        type master;
        file "wendellfullmoon.org.zone";
        // IP addresses of slave servers allowed to transfer
deepsoft.com
        allow-transfer { any;};
};

In deepsoft.com.zone file are 'IN A' records that bind <mumble>.deepsoft.com to
some IP address and in wendellfullmoon.org.zone are 'IN A' records that
bind <mumble>.are 'IN A' records that bind <mumble>.wendellfullmoon.org to
some IP address.

--
Robert Heller             -- Get the Deepwoods Software FireFox Toolbar!
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration