[CentOS] Configuring BIND to answer to two domain names (four IP addresses)

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 20:39:03 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 22:24, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:
>> So, then, the association of a FQDN with any particular IP address is
>> only done in the domain name's control panel where the nameservers are
>> set?
>
> It is in bind's database (zone files).  In named.conf you associate
> domains (all but the leftmost part of the FQDN) with zone files and
> zone files map from hostnames (left-most part of the FQDN) to ip
> addresses.

Thank you. That is quite what I had suspected, and of course the zone
files that I am experimenting with reflect that. How is this:

# cat /var/named/exampleA.com.hosts

$ORIGIN exampleA.com.
$TTL 1h
exampleA.com. IN      SOA     ns1.exampleA.com. ns2.exampleA.com. (
                       1; Serial - increment me
                       10800
                       3600
                       604800