[CentOS] Configuring BIND to answer to two domain names (four IP addresses)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 20:47:33 UTC 2010

On 9/24/2010 3:39 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 22:24, Robert Heller<heller at deepsoft.com>  wrote:
>>> So, then, the association of a FQDN with any particular IP address is
>>> only done in the domain name's control panel where the nameservers are
>>> set?
>>
>> It is in bind's database (zone files).  In named.conf you associate
>> domains (all but the leftmost part of the FQDN) with zone files and
>> zone files map from hostnames (left-most part of the FQDN) to ip
>> addresses.
>>

> Thank you. That is quite what I had suspected, and of course the zone
> files that I am experimenting with reflect that. How is this:
>

> # cat /var/named/exampleA.com.hosts
>
> $ORIGIN exampleA.com.
> $TTL 1h
> exampleA.com. IN      SOA     ns1.exampleA.com. ns2.exampleA.com. (
>                         1; Serial - increment me
>                         10800
>                         3600
>                         604800
>                         38400 )
>               IN      NS      ns1.exampleA.com.
>               IN      NS      ns2.exampleA.com.
> exampleA.com. IN      A       1.1.1.1
> exampleA.com. IN      A       1.1.1.2
> ns1           IN  A   1.1.1.1
> ns2           IN  A   1.1.1.2

I think that's reasonable - but note that from the rest of the world's
perspective the ns1, ns2 IP's are going to come from the glue records
from the upstream DNS that would have been added when you registered the
servers as primary for the domain.  For anything else, the query gets
passed on to your server.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com