[CentOS] Configuring BIND to answer to two domain names (four IP addresses)

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Fri Sep 24 20:41:31 UTC 2010

> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 22:06, James A. Peltier <jpeltier at sfu.ca> wrote:
> > formatting for NS records is incorrect.  It should just read
> >
> >                   NS ns1.exampleA.com.
> >                   NS ns2.exampleA.com.
> >

> Thanks. (I added the periods)
>
> > where is your ns1.exampleA.com entry?
> > where is your ns2.exampleA.com entry?
> >

> Where _should_ they be? So far as I've been able to google, I cannot
> tell... This is what all the examples look like that I have been able
> to find.

With the rest of the IN A records for exampleA.com (and correspondingly
for exampleB.com).  You need *addresses* for your name servers as well
as for your web servers.  And you might also want to have www.<mumble>
address records as well.  And if these site are sending E-Mail, MX
records would be *polite*.  MTAs often toss E-Mail from addresses
lacking MX records...  And if you have a MX record pointing to
mail.exampleA.com and/or mail.exampleB.com, you will need IN A records
for the mail. hosts as well.  Or you can use CNAME records.

--
Robert Heller             -- Get the Deepwoods Software FireFox Toolbar!
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration