[CentOS] Configuring BIND to answer to two domain names (four IP addresses)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 16:15:39 UTC 2010

On 9/24/10 11:12 PM, cpolish at surewest.net wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 10:28:41PM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 22:24, Alexander Dalloz<ad+lists at uni-x.org>  wrote:
>>> http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/
>>>
>>> That is a good source to read up about bind configuration.
>>>
>>> As a sidenote please be aware, that if someone directly queries your
>>> ns1.exampleA.com for exampleB.com zone records he will get proper
>>> answers. If you would need to prevent this for any reason you would need
>>> a extended bind config design using views.
>>>
>>> While the zytrax book has lessons about views you can too find a resource in
>>>
>>> http://www.cymru.com/Documents/secure-bind-template.html
>>>

>> Wow, thank you! There is some good reading there, especially the
>> security link. Lots of little holes to exploit!
>>
>> I will be up for the night!
>
> For completeness: there is the BIND 9 Administrator Reference Manual,
> known as the ARM, usually supplied under /usr/share/doc/.
> And what many consider to be the standard reference, Liu and Albitz's
> "DNS and BIND" published by O'Reilly. I believe it's up to the
> 5th edition now; an earlier edition used to be provided online.
> If you're serious about learning DNS you ought to consider this book.

Learning bind is sort of like learning sendmail though.  They both do a million
things you'll never need (and if you do you should probably change your
design...).  The trick - especially when you start with the full references - is
to figure out the simple part you need to understand and ignore the rest.  And
when using distribution-packaged versions, most of what you need is already there.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com