[CentOS] Acronis True Image or Clonezilla

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 15:48:05 UTC 2010

On 9/28/2010 10:27 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Jerry McAllister wrote:
>
>>> I want to clone a small (80GB) disk on my CentOS server
>>> to a large (1.5TB) disk,
>>> as smart has been giving me warnings of unreadable sectors.
>>>
>>> Both disks are Western Digital,
>>> and WD has a WD version of Acronis True Image.
>>> I'm not sure whether to use this or Clonezilla.
>>>
>>> My worry with Acronis is that I want to keep
>>> the original disk, and I'm not sure
>>> from the documentation if True Image allows this.
>>>
>>> Any opinions on the better of the two?
>>>

>> I would be inclined to suggest regular UNIX dump/restore.
>> The size change is covered in normal UNIX fashion and all
>> links, ownership, permissions and flags are preserved properly.
>
> I should have admitted that there is a Windows partition on the old disk.
> It came with the machine, but I never use it.
> However, I would like to save it if possible,
> as there seem to be some operations on this computer (HP ProLiant M110),
> eg updating the BIOS, which seem to require Windows to be running.

If you know how to reinstall the multi-boot setup, you should be able to
use clonezilla-live to clone specific partitions and either reinstall
others or use a file oriented copy technique.  And if you have another
machine or disk to hold the image you can make a compressed image file
copy as a backup in case your drive dies before you decide how you want
to set up the replacement.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com