[CentOS] Transferring system to new RAID drive

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Wed Sep 29 19:02:59 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, September 29, 2010 12:13:52 pm Matt wrote:
> Is there a way to copy it to a hardware RAID 1 array of two
> drives in a similiar way?  If so what not too expensive 2 port
> hardware raid controller do you reccommend and how do you do it?

3ware 9500S; can be had used and NOS (New Old Stock) on eBay cheap, and has great Linux support.  Performance isn't stellar, but is adequate.  I'm looking right now at a 'buy it now' on an 8 port for $59 free shipping.  I see an older 8006-2LP (used) with a starting bid of $9.99.

I am using one I got a couple of years ago NOS off eBay; it's the 4 port 9500S, and it has been in production for two years at this point.

You can clone the single drive to a RAID logical drive just as if the RAID was a single drive.

You just need to make sure the 3ware's drivers are in your initrd; either put the module there before the clone or using a live boot CD.