[CentOS] HP ML110 G6: how to update kernel with HP hpahcisr raid driver installed

mark m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Sep 30 11:54:47 UTC 2010

Dario Lesca wrote:
<snip>
> ... start with "linux dd" and, at the end of setup, install the

What? What are you saying you did with the dd command?

> hpahcisr into kernel 2.6.18-194.el5PAE
>
> But after reboot if I run a "yum update" and reboot, the new kernel
> not contain the driver hpahcisr for new kernel and I get a kernel
> panic.

Of course not. You installed a proprietary driver, that is *not* part of
the new kernel. Why would you think it should magically be part of the
new kernel? Look at /boot, and you'll see more than one kernel file. The
configuration files for *one* kernel make it  aware of your driver; the
new one has no clue, *and* some of the shared libraries may/will not
match, so of course you have to reinstall.

> The question is:
>
> How to update to last kernel without lost the proprietary driver?
>
> It's possible?
>
> Where is the new driver for new kernel?

Where'd you get the original? Does installation of it build the driver,
the way, for example, I have to rebuild a years-old driver for my Nvidia
card at work, every time I update the kernel?

	mark

--
"Morality is alright, but what about dividends?"
                                 --  Kaiser Willhem II