[CentOS] How can a company help, officially?

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Tue Apr 12 16:04:48 UTC 2011

Hi Ned,

On 04/11/2011 10:02 PM, Ned Slider wrote:
>> each release is more complex than the last. The web of dependency grows,
>> so the reverse-engineering takes longer and longer.
> This is just complete nonsense. You clearly have no understanding of the
> processes involved in rebuilding RHEL. CentOS doesn't reverse-engineer
> anything, they simply rebuild the upstream sources. It's not rocket science.

He's not completely wrong; getting dep ordering with missing
intermediaries isn't trivial. If upstream takes upto 50 days from
release to drop a srpm, we need to consider implications in both
directions right ? and at that point ( it has happened ) we might be
looking at rebuilds from 50+X days. Where X might even be 20 - 45 days
itself. in 5.3's release time we had to traceback to a fastrack built
package from 5.1's days.

- KB