[CentOS] How can a company help, officially?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 19:28:27 UTC 2011

On 4/12/2011 1:33 PM, R P Herrold wrote:

>>> off the top of my head, here is the meta-code
>
>> Would you really repeat those steps by hand if someone gave
>> you a new server to add to what you use?  Maybe things are
>> worse than I'd guessed.
>
> You did not read the commentary ...

I did - and didn't see anything how my mistakes in emulating your
process might keep you from repeating them or vice versa.  And you
didn't answer my question.

> Ther is no substitute for doing it to learn how to do it.
> Speculation from bystanders is not all that helpful; the
> process is understood, so 'helpful' attempts on streamlining
> process are not helpful.

'Streamlining' isn't quite the point.  Making and identifying as many
mistakes as possible concurrently without repeating work would be a
closer description.

 > If one wants to help, set up a local
> laboratory and learn how to build --- but this is quite hard,

So back to what you would actually do with another server to throw in
the mix.  Would you really repeat that work by hand and duplicate all
the wrong builds the other servers have done?  And if that is not what
you would do, why do you insist that everyone else should do it that way?

> Writing the flowchart got me to thinking about the desire
> someone had for adding 'metering, such as a twitter driven
> 'progress bar' --- It will not happen, because one does not
> know what measure of builds represent 'full scale' complete,
> until one is complete, which is too late for a progress bar
> [unless one is 'solving' the rebuild yet again, a useless
> act].  Sadly the effort is not even linear so that one might
> extrapolate a 'close rate' because the 'hard stuff' tends to
> pile up and be solved last

How about something that shows what task(s) are blocking progress and
how much time they eventually consumed with/without other things
happening in parallel?  That seems more useful to know than guessing
about completion.  If it is clear that those test scripts you suggest
writing will clear months off the wait, people will be much more
motivated to tackle them.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com