[CentOS] Best way to extend pv partition for LVM

Sat Apr 2 12:53:20 UTC 2011
Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com>

I've replaced disks in a hardware RAID 1 with larger disks and enlarged
the array. Now I have to find a way to tell LVM about the extra space.
It seems there are two ways:
1. delete partition with fdisk and recreate a larger one. This is
obviously a bit tricky if you do not want to lose data, I haven't
investigated further yet.
2. create another partition on the disk, pvcreate another pv and then add
it to the existing volume group with vgextend
3. a possible third way: increase the partition size. According to Google
most if not all disk tools want to resize a file system as well and since
there is no file system they will fail. I'm not sure about the status with
this for the tools that come with CentOS (fdisk, parted, other?)

No. 2 seems to be the easy way. Any objections?
One I thought of:
What does happen when I use No. 2 and I add new lvs? Can it happen that
new lvs get "spanned" over both pvs or can I assure that a pv gets created
using only one of the pvs? (I would prefer the latter, it doesn't matter
if I use a few MB because of the ineffectiveness of allocation.)

Thanks for recommendations.

Kai