[CentOS] CentOSPlus kernel (Was: Centos 6 Update?)

Thu Apr 7 17:40:54 UTC 2011
Steve Clark <sclark at netwolves.com>

On 04/07/2011 01:18 PM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 9:39 AM, Steve Clark<sclark at netwolves.com>  wrote:
>> On 04/07/2011 12:19 PM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>>
>> http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=4586
>>
>> Point 2 (note 12051) is the one that is relevant. I welcome any
>> feedback / suggestions for the proposed method I outlined there.
>> While you are there, look also at the issues described for Point 3
>> (note 12052). Anyone can help in there as well. :)
>> Hi Akemi,
>>
>> Two questions:
>> 1) Is there a step by step documentation on rebuilding the centosplus
>> kernels that includes what the environment should be.
> I built all the binaries on RHEL6beta2refresh. Other than that, I hope
> that the info on how to build cplus 6 kernel is in that bug tracker
> entry.
>
>> 2) Is it possible to get upstream patches from newer kernels included or
>> must on do it themselves.
>>
>> I am specifically interested in the following 2 patches that let linux
>> behave according to
>> Basic Requirements for IPv6 Customer Edge Routers
>>                    draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6-cpe-router-09
>>
>> The current kernel-2.6.32-71.18.2.el6 does not have these patches - which
>> prevents using it as
>> a customer edge router for ipv6.
> I had a quick look at the patches. The first one seems to be
> applicable without any modifications. The second one will need an
> adjustment.
>
> Could you file a request at bugs.centos.org ? I can try and build a
> test cplus kernel with those patches applied. Are you then able to
> test it to see if the patched version works as expected?
>
> Akemi

I just finished building a kernel based on kernel-2.6.32-71.18.2.el6.src.rpm. I hand applied the patches. Like you said
one applied clean the other applied with a fuzz offset of -36 (IIRC). I am installing now to test.

My rebuild was simply cp the /boot/config-2.6.32-71.18.2.el6.i686 to .config;make oldconfig;make rpm

That is why I was asking about the proper way.

I have just installed the kernel and will now start testing.

--
Stephen Clark
*NetWolves*
Email: steve.clark at netwolves.com