[CentOS] 40TB File System Recommendations

Tue Apr 12 07:36:54 UTC 2011
Alain Péan <alain.pean at lpp.polytechnique.fr>

Le 12/04/2011 09:23, Matthew Feinberg a écrit :
> Hello All
>
> I have a brand spanking new 40TB Hardware Raid6 array to play around
> with. I am looking for recommendations for which filesystem to use. I am
> trying not to break this up into multiple file systems as we are going
> to use it for backups. Other factors is performance and reliability.
>
> CentOS 5.6
>
> array is /dev/sdb
>
> So here is what I have tried so far
> reiserfs is limited to 16TB
> ext4 does not seem to be fully baked in 5.6 yet. parted 1.8 does not
> support creating ext4 (strange)
>
> Anyone work with large filesystems like this that have any
> suggestions/recommendations?

Hi Matthew,

I would go for xfs, which is now supported in CentOS. This is what I use
for a 16 TB storage, with CentOS 5.3 (Rocks Cluster), and it woks fine.
No problem with lengthy fsck, as with ext3 (which does not support such
capacities). I did not try yet ext4...

Alain

Alain Péan - LPP/CNRS
Administrateur Système/Réseau
Laboratoire de Physique des Plasmas - UMR 7648
Observatoire de Saint-Maur
4, av de Neptune, Bat. A
94100 Saint-Maur des Fossés
Tel : 01-45-11-42-39 - Fax : 01-48-89-44-33