[CentOS] cross-platform email client

Sat Apr 16 01:56:50 UTC 2011
Devin Reade <gdr at gno.org>

Florin Andrei <florin at andrei.myip.org> wrote:

> I'm a Thunderbird user almost since day one, but now I'm looking for
> something else.

Check out Mulberry.  <http://mulberrymail.com/>  It hasn't been updated
in a while, but don't let that scare you off. It's a very solid mail
reader for Linux, Mac, and Windows. It does all the usual mail-related
protocols, included crypto, authentication, filtering (server and I
think client side), address books, scheduling, etc.

To put into perspective, my client talks to four different IMAP accounts,
the largest of which has 326 subfolders and 530,000 messages. The only
bug that I seem to run into with the latest version is if the SMTP server
isn't available when you send your first message after starting up, then
the message you sent doesn't get kicked out of the local spool until you
send the 2nd message. (Earlier versions would retry periodically; maybe
there's a config setting somewhere I've not noticed, but it hasn't annoyed
me enough to track it down.)

If you're installing on CentOS you will need, IIRC, one of the
compat-libc RPMS to be installed.  Use ldd to figure out which one.

Just grab the mulberry client.  Don't bother with the mulberry admin
tool; it's intended for large scale deployments.

Devin