[CentOS] cross-platform email client

Sat Apr 16 10:07:56 UTC 2011
Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com>

--On Friday, April 15, 2011 8:56 PM -0600 Devin Reade <gdr at gno.org> wrote:

> Check out Mulberry.  <http://mulberrymail.com/>  It hasn't been updated
> in a while, but don't let that scare you off. It's a very solid mail
> reader for Linux, Mac, and Windows. It does all the usual mail-related
> protocols, included crypto, authentication, filtering (server and I
> think client side), address books, scheduling, etc.

If you're willing to build it from source, subscribe to the mulberry-devel
list and check recent posts for instructions on how to build on Linux. I'm
maintaining the Win32 build of the "shared" development branch. Another
participant maintains the Linux build system and converted it to use the
auto tools.

The main drawback to Mulberry is that it doesn't display images, and its
HTML rendering is primitive. But if you're like me and deal primarily in
text, and want to only open images and attachments explicitly (good way to
avoid infections), Mulberry works great.

It's particulary wonderful if you have a huge hierarchy of folders. I've
got literally hundreds of mailing list folders, with procmailrc feeding
mail into each, and Mulberry is great for detecting new mail in all of them
efficiently.

Mulberry has a great Reply selection dialog. When you reply to an email, a
dialog optionally appears letting you easily select which correspondents
will go in the To/Cc/Bcc fields, and whether the reply is really a reply
(with References header) or a New Message. Again, very useful for dealing
with mailing lists when you want to start a new thread.

You can configure multiple "identities" representing what will populate the
>From and Reply-to fields and what outbound servers will be used. An
identity can inherit from another identity, changing only what's unique, so
you can create a default identity and the others can have minimal setup.

Each mail folder can have an identity associated with it, and this is
inherited by child folders or can be overridden. Folders can also have
unique notification sounds.

I don't use Mulberry's filtering system because I use procmail on the
server for that, but I know a system is there should you need that.