[CentOS] Gnome Notification Applet

Sat Apr 16 04:34:32 UTC 2011
Ron Blizzard <rb4centos at gmail.com>

I tried out Scientific Linux 6 Live to see (basically) what I can
expect with CentOS 6 and was pleased to find that everything looks
pretty familiar and is easily customizable to make it look and feel
like 5.6 -- except for one thing that I also noticed in Ubuntu's
newest beta (my Dad uses Linux Mint). For whatever reason, Gnome has
decided to put the Volume Control and Network Manager in the
Notification Applet. (It's worse with Ubuntu, they've put four applets
there by default.) On my desktop I don't display the Network Manager,
but I like the Volume Control to be there (on the very right beside
the clock). I spent most of my "trial time" with SL 6 trying to figure
out how to separate these two applets from the Notification Applet --
without success. Is there a configuration file I can change or a
configuration program I can run to customize this?

I realize it's not a huge deal, but it's an irritant. Why does Gnome
want to limit the ability to customize?

Thanks for any pointers.

--
RonB -- Using CentOS 5.6