[CentOS] glibc-2.5-58.el5_6.2.i686 broken?

Sun Apr 17 17:37:43 UTC 2011
Leonard den Ottolander <leonard at den.ottolander.nl>

Hello Rainer,

On Sun, 2011-04-17 at 19:08 +0200, Rainer Traut wrote:
> Please don't take it wrong but Akemi gave you the link because not
> everyone reads the forums and the issue was discussed there.

Which is highly appreciated, but it happened *after* I reported these
issues, so it hardly counts as a heads up. That said, I did not mean to
state this request as a demand in any kind or form, nor was it directed
at just Akemi. It's a general request that if people are aware of
breakage in upcoming updates to report it to this list.

I think I set a good example by reporting the breakage in
xorg-x11-server-utils.

> I would like to advice everyone to install the glibc package. The
> security impact of not doing so is too high. Only one who is affected by
> Evolution breakage should not do so.
>
> Again please don't take it wrong but I think the tone of this thread is
> wrong, the security fix is just too important.

The issue is a bit more severe than just breaking evolution. It also
breaks the gnome desktop by crashing gnome panels. Although I have no
explanation of the grub breakage that occurred after these updates on my
perhaps somewhat old and odd Sempron system I thought it might be
related. As I haven't seen anyone else reports such issues it might have
just been a fluke.

You are correct that I should have phrased my recommendation a bit less
generally, but then I am not stopping anyone from making their own
(informed) decisions.

Regards,
Leonard.