[CentOS] Centos 6 Update?

Thu Apr 21 15:23:28 UTC 2011
Stephen Harris <lists at spuddy.org>

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 01:27:23PM +0100, Ian Murray wrote:

> No, I would just like the name and website to match the facts. I would suggest
> that anybody that calls centOS "enterprise-ready" might have a different concept
> to what an enterprise is to me. Enterprise to me is at least a 1000 users and
> dozens of live servers. If CentOS is only suitable for test environment then I
> don't really class that as enterprise-ready, either.

"Dozens" ?  What a small environment.  My concept of enterprise is thousands
of servers.

CentOS, as an Operating System, is most definitely enterprise ready.
It can scale to 1000s of servers quite easily.  Tools are available
to let you build and deploy on an automated basis.  You could deploy
CentOS to a thousand servers with ease; you could deploy a blade farm
with dynamic provisioning very quickly and easily.

What the CentOS project is _not_ is an enterprise level _support_ service.
It doesn't pretend to be.  That's where the "community" aspect comes in.
If you want enteprise level support then you probably need to pay for it.
(which is why my employer uses RedHat and not CentOS; we want to be able
to phone someone and bitch at them until they fix stuff)

If you consider "enterprise ready" to be a combination of "enterprise
scalable and enterprise level support" then, sure, you'll not find CentOS
meeting your needs.  But if you want an enterprise quality OS then CentOS
fills that gap nicely.

--

rgds
Stephen