[CentOS] cobbler installation of CentOS-5.5

Mon Apr 4 00:27:47 UTC 2011
Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net>

Timothy Murphy wrote:

>> you can dd the whole IMG to your stick, but its cleaner to collect such
>> images and reference them in syslinux.cfg.
>>
>> To setup your stick to bootZZ
>> #syslinux -s /dev/sda   (unmounted USB disk)
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.
>
> But would that be simpler than transferring netinstall.iso to a USB stick?
> (I've always found the syslinux documentation bizarre,
> with its frequent references to floppies.)

I tried following my own suggestion - transferring CentOS netinstall
to a USB stick with liveusb-creator (on a Fedora-14 laptop).
But to my surprise this failed with the error message
        ISO MD5 checksum verification failed

However, md5sum seemed to find the ISO OK:
[tim at blanche Documents]$ md5sum -c md5sum.txt.asc
CentOS-5.5-x86_64-netinstall.iso: OK
sha1sum also finds it OK.

I tried downloading the ISO again, but the outcome was the same.

The ISO is very short - just 10MB.
But it looks OK when I loop-mount it.

I wonder if anyone can cast light on this?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net